The existing Chestnut Hill Hotel building was constructed in 1894 to replace an earlier Inn, which had been built in the same location in 1772. During Prohibition, the Hotel degenerated into a speakeasy and, according to some local residents, a bordello. In 1957-1958, the Hotel had its turrets and porches removed and the Hotel was remodeled in the colonial style. In the early 80’s, it was renovated again and became the core of the current retail complex, with the Hotel’s carriage house and stables transformed into stores and a farmers’ market. 2010 brings its latest incarnation, restoring the property to its original grandeur and elegance.